Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Benefit of Being Clueless


Okay, so obviously this blog has nothing to do with providing parenting skills. The title “G.O. Mommies!” might give the impression of a “how-to” mommy’s blog. This however would be a problem since I don’t necessarily know “how-to.” I’m far from an expert in parental skills. I can’t claim any knowhow in this area as a fairly new mom of a toddler.

So what is this about then? It’s about a new mother’s desire to do well for the LORD in how she raises her child(ren) – and ultimately, that mother’s desire to grow in sanctification, understanding of the gospel and usefulness to the LORD. And it is here that being somewhat green in the finer points of parenting can actually be a benefit.

In general, I’m more likely to rest in my abilities when I’m feeling confident and self-assured. However, when surrounded mostly by uncertainty, I tend to seek direction with some intentionality. For many of us, being a parent reveals more of our shortcomings than it does our wisdom and mastery. This has been true for me. I see the ways in which I fall short and I know I need the LORD in order to do well for Him at this task. So my best and most effective parenting tool thus far? Prayer! I pray for help often—not necessarily because I’m supposed to—but because I’m so unsure and so prone to failure.

But I love this. I love it because it reflects the Gospel. This is the heart of the Good News: the admission of ones inability before a gracious and able God. The Gospel has nothing to do with your ability to get it right but it is the recognition that your very best effort on your very best day is nothing more than filth, weakness and foolishness when seen in the light of God’s holiness, strength and wisdom (Isaiah 64:6; I Corinthians 1:18-.25). The bad news of course is that God’s perfection IS the one required of you. The Good News is that God gives it.

It is given positionally to those who rest from the pretense of their own righteousness (be it religious or humanistic) to cling to God for the imputed righteousness of His Son (Ephesians 2:8). I see this illustrated in the story told by Jesus in Luke 18:9-14.  I love there the picture of the tax collector who hangs his head, beats is chest and prays “God be merciful to me, a sinner!” Jesus tells us that this man goes home justified and not the Pharisee who trusts in his own righteousness before God.

So as with justification, today I thank God for the "cluelessness" and seeming weakness of my parenting for it drives me to lower my head, bend my knees and seek his perfect strength (2 Corinthians 12:9-10). The benefit is not in the weakness itself but in the humility it offers that draws me nearer to God and ultimately increases my sanctification, understanding of the gospel and usefulness to the LORD.  

1 comment:

  1. A wonderful posting... if being clueless leads to being more Christ-like and dependent on the Holy Spirit, the benefit is great indeed! Keep writing, Wife.

    ReplyDelete