Monday, February 11, 2013

Overcoming Fear with an Even Greater Fear: A Confession


“The Lord Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy, he is the one you are to fear, he is the one you are to dread” Isaiah 8:13.

I had several encounters over the past week that left me quite disappointed in myself. One in particular, was a remarkable opportunity to explain the gospel to someone.  But instead, I acquiesced to the politically correct voice to simply encourage this person with some “safe words.” How cowardly! 

As I went about grieving over my seeming faithlessness, I was met by Isaiah 8:11-13. And what a fascinating truth it brought. In that passage, the LORD warns Isaiah against the common fears of his age. Verses 11 and 12 state:

“This is what the Lord says to me with his strong hand upon me, warning me not to follow the way of this people: ‘Do not call conspiracy everything this people calls a conspiracy; do not fear what they fear and do not dread it.”

A prudent caution from the LORD. Its goal however is not to exhort Isaiah to live without fear but rather to relinquish all his “slavish creature-fears in the reverential fear of God.”[1] Verse 13 states: “The Lord Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy, he is the one you are to fear, he is the one you are to dread.”  So in short, Isaiah, don’t fear what others fear, but let your dread and regard be for The Lord Almighty who is holy.

The picture then is not overcoming the first fear with some wonderful jolt of courage but rather making that first fear a trivial thing in light of an even greater fear: the fear of a transcendent and holy God – One who is far removed from you and me in righteousness. He is perfect beyond our understanding. He is awesome in His majesty, absolute in His justice and fearsome in His glory (Isaiah 6:5, Luke 5:8). He is a God to be feared! What an insult to regard someone else’s perception of me over His honor! What a sin!

I’m grieving over my sin today and mourning over the offense it is to God’s glory (James 4:8-10). I understand that my hope for overcoming rests alone in God’s sanctifying power. So I’m drawing close to Him in fervent prayer, not for fearlessness, but for a consuming and reverential fear of Him that makes all other fears inconsequential. 



[1] Divine Conduct and Saint Indeed, John Flavel

1 comment:

  1. Hi ate Nana,

    I wanted to thank you for this post. I struggle with political correctness as well, but a large part of it is due to the fact that I have not consumed the Word as much as I should. This reminded me to go back to it again.

    I'm silently stalking your blog by the way and have been encouraged by your writings. I am linking my future sis-in-law to your site since I have already asked her for nephews and nieces! Muahahahah! Your writings I'm sure would help her as she begins her new life in December, God-willing.

    Very pleased to hear about Jae-jae and her growth! I miss that child so much and am very glad that she has you for a mother. I've already bothered kuya Eric with my nonsensical letters and non-stop questions but I wanted to send my love to you and Jael! I will hold on to the promise that He graciously pour out strength for all of us to endure the fire of His sanctification.

    Grace and Peace to you and your family! :)

    ReplyDelete